bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Finding fantasy genre a bit too complex Although I like reading fantasy / adventure I am finding it too complex for me to write. I also like watching murder mysteries and I have read a few - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Although I like reading fantasy / adventure I am finding it too complex for me to write. I also like watching murder mysteries and I have read a few too. I find this type of genre a lot of fun.

The problem with me is that I give up too easily. Like for instance I started planning a fantasy story for a few months now, but it's getting more complicated and I feel now like switching genres.

Do any of you feel the same way as I do? How do you overcome it?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In the modern era fantasy writing is perhaps a genre on its own. (I'm not a fan). It is more in line with traditional writing from previous centuries.

Examine the following:

As we took off from Charles De Gaulle the Eiffel Tower shrank to a mere child's toy. The next time I opened my eyes the skies were clear. From the cabin window I witnessed Everest in all its glory. As we approached Sydney, the sun glistened off the Opera House roof.

In the modern era, media has shown us images of all that is known. In writing I've no need to describe anything - the task is to ask you to recall your brain's stored images. This engages the reader and is akin to visual empathy. The method is fast and engaging.

Fantasy requires the writer to describe images that are new to the reader, often resulting in TLDR.

It's a psychological effect. If I write a story about a high-school romance the reader will instantly connect. If the reader hasn't experienced the same - they have witnessed the scenario and will recall the experience. The reader will build and manufacture all ancillary scenes and characters themselves.

With fantasy you're building a world which you asking the reader to buy into.

Not an easy task.

Load Full (0)