bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Right approach to introduce a character on a script I'm writing a script for a short film so I'm trying to keep the things that are kind of dispendable, away. The story of the script starts - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There is a long tradition of false starts and audience mind screws where the viewer thinks they know who the main character is only to realise that they were wrong. Think about Psyco, for example. That was certainly not where you thought the film was going (the first time you saw it).

There is nothing wrong with bringing the protagonist on stage some time into the story if, and only if, what went before is vital for the viewer to appreciate the story. If you could cut it to up the pace, what you have is the movie equivalent of an info dump, or worse, padding.

As long as the content prior to the "important" characters appearing is pertinent and the viewer can understand that it is that is fine. Otherwise, you have a time wasting prelude (in my opinion).

On the whole, the audience will connect with whichever characters are on the screen (or loose interest). They may expect this first character that they met to be important later on so if we never see them again they may feel cheated. Again, that depends on how you tell the story.

I would recommend that you focus on leaving the audience caring about what happens to the victim and everything else will fall into place.

Write it, then fix it. No good came of trying to fix something before it was written.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best