bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to balance relatability in a story with unique world building? I believe this falls well outside the world-building acceptable topics, so I have come here looking for advice! As a world - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One way could be to tell your story as the narrator of a wild-life documentary.

I'd guess that the perceptions and surroundings of a common ant is completely alien from our own experience. Yet, we could still tell a story of the rise and fall of our local backyard ant-hill. Build suspense. Create individuals and their struggles. We'd observe the daily happenings, ant x does y, then z because a wasp attacked. From there it's not a large step to dramatize these events and create human-centered metaphors.

So if you enjoy building really strange worlds with really strange characters you could observe what is happening in your own mind and then take a step back. As the wild-life narrator of your own world, what could you say about it? In this way you don't have explicitly add a humanoid character in the middle of everything.

If this is easy to turn into interesting writing, I don't know. But I hope that it gives another perspective for you.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Rivera824

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best