bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : When it comes to creating cadence, should I depend on my ear or are there principles I can follow? I read an essay by John Mason about the principles of the harmony of prose numbers (or - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I read an essay by John Mason about the principles of the harmony of prose numbers (or feet). I am wondering whether it is of any use, considering other books I have read say that treating prose rhythm in terms of metrical feet has been a failure.

If one wants to write in a certain voice, requiring them to select and arrange feet in a certain sequence and couch their words in them, are there principles they can depend on or must they depend solely on their ear? If it is the ear they must depend on, is it merely a judge of rhythm or also a guide?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Yes, I'd pretty much go with your ear. I could explain the technicalities of cadence and pacing but it's pretty much like dancing - if you think about too much while your doing do it . . . it's rarely pretty.

Experience in poetry helps. It helps with balance and rhythm.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Perhaps the most famous use of cadence is Shakespeare with iambic pentameter. However, he strayed from it often. Was it based simply on ear? I don't think so. It was the mood he was trying to convey.

Poetry is an entity onto itself. Take E.E. Cummins. Marshy-mushy.

In fictional prose, if you're not setting a mood or tone with your cadence quirks, you're probably just being annoting. Let your talent as a writer come out without gimmicks. If cadence adds to your story, go for it.

An example I'll give is from Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series (most righteous if you've never read it). One character has a stutter. He has to sing his speech or he stutters terribly. Anthony has it come out in prose like song lyrics. It's very clever.

Load Full (0)