bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Tips for writing sentences like a native speaker English isn't my native tongue, but I've been writing novels in English for a while. Most of the time, I can be aware of what's grammatically - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I do have the same issue as the op. I recently took up freelance writing on a full-time basis and I have issues with clients because my English does not have the feel of a native speaker.

One thing I am doing to help myself is immersion in the American culture so that I can pick up the one or two things about how Americans speak their English. I also frequent American heavy websites such as Reddit, 4chan and 9gag so I can pick up colloquial American English.

Its a long and brutal process but I am sure that in the coming months, I will begin to see some results: sound and feel more native in all my applications of the language.

I do listen to NPR, some podcasts, etc., just trying to immerse myself totally in the culture. If I could, I would come over to the USA to live for a while, say one or two years, but at the moment, I cannot afford the visa fees -- maybe in the future when I have made some money from my writing I will make the journey. I have no doubt that total immersion on the ground will take my writing to new heights.

Hang on my friend... don't lose hope. With some tears, blood and sweat, your goals are achievable.

Cheers!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best