bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How could a paragon character be an antagonist? I want to write a story featuring two main characters--Al and Bob. In the beginning, Al, the paragon, will be a kind, friendly, competent and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In the real world, not all antagonists are villains, and I see no reason why your paragon, Al, needs to be villainous to be an effective antagonist to your POV character, Bob. All he needs is to have his definition of "good" conflict with Bob's fundamental need. Consider:

In Act I, we introduce Al and Bob. Everyone loves Al, and this makes Bob feel jealous. He feels bad about disliking Al, but the truth is, the man is hogging all the glory for himself. The fact that Al doesn't seem to have anything Bob can justifiably dislike just makes him feel worse.

In Act II, Al and Bob are working together (or in parallel) to solve problem X, e.g. the dangerous monsters outside the walls. Bob hesitates - he is worried about a decision to be made; meanwhile, Al simply acts -- his morality has no gray areas, so his decisions are easy.

In Act III, the conflict reaches a head: Al is going to Act to solve X forever (perhaps by sealing off the city). Bob, though, has learned that the monsters in question are people too, and is concerned about what will happen to them. Al responds, rightly, that their job is to protect the City, not the forest, and they can't do both. The city dwellers agree. And this leaves Bob to act against Al alone, with both of them seeking good. Even if he succeeds, his victory will be bittersweet.

One brilliant comedic example of the paragon antagonist is Othar Tryggvassen from Girl Genius comics. He is a legitimate hero to the non-sparks (read: normal people), but since the story is told from a pro-spark (read: mad scientist) perspective, we see him differently.

Edit: clarified that the monsters could be people too, thus creating the gray area where Al and Bob conflict.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best