bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What language to use as scientific without exact its naming? Hard to say why scientific language on Earth is greek, with touch of latin or not (instead ). But may it be. And probably answer - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Hard to say why scientific language on Earth is greek, with touch of latin or not (instead ). But may it be. And probably answer on this question would be answer to my question too.

But my question is related to my fantasy world. I would like to choose language to be scientific one for my world, but I would not like to call it exactly (even if it is clear that more or less it will be any real language) - because my world is fully fictional.

The first nation is called Meadowers. But they have not any schools, due to their natural wisdom based on age immortality.

The first school was established in the East plains, by man from nation known as Priests of metals (for their mastery in processing of metals). It was school for employees of house of public health (hospital). Human body and illnesses are studied there.

The second school was established in West haven. There is school for employees of local mines of black oil and textile works. Black oil is studied there.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kristi637

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The reason the cientific language in Earth is Latin with Greek vocabulary (as Classic Latin had) it's because Latin was the lingua franca of Europe, the common language. A physicist writing in Germany a book in Latin knew his works could be read by a partner in France without translation.

It's the same reason most new advances are now in English, it's the modern lingua franca.

So in your world, the name of the scientific language would be the one most spoken, or the one that exports more knowledge in their language. You have two schools, one has to be more important than the other.

Or both, for a (short) time there were many scientific papers in German and French and it could happen the same in your world.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The reason why ancient/classical/whatever Greek and Latin are used for scientific terms is because they're "dead languages." This means that the meaning of a word in Greek/Latin will always mean that from now until forever, it won't change due to colloquialisms. Think of how often words in English can take on multiple meanings throughout the centuries, or even day-by-day, that's why an English word can't be used for a scientific term since in the future it might mean something different.

So for your example, think of fictional languages that have died out, and that's why they're used as a scientific language in that universe.

Load Full (0)