bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can I reference an excerpt someone else created of a particular book? I'm trying to reference data from this particular book. However, it's an old book, so there isn't an e-book version available - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm trying to reference data from this particular book. However, it's an old book, so there isn't an e-book version available for me to purchase, and the price is quite high. I only need to cite one or two lines from the entire book, so it would kind of be a waste to purchase it anyway.

I've found a summary of excerpts from the book, and it contains all the evidence from the book that I need. My question is, am I allowed to cite this link, or am I required to cite the original book instead? The problem with the excerpts is that it does not mention the pages they were taken from, so if I do reference the book, I would not be able to reference the page number, like this:

Gene G. Abel and Nora Harlow, The stop child molestation book: what ordinary people can do in their everyday lives to save three million children (Philadelphia: Xlibris, 2001).

Is it wrong to cite the whole book when I simply can't figure out the page numbers, but know that the lines are in the book? Or can I just reference the excerpt, like this:

Gene G. Abel and Nora Harlow. “The Abel and Harlow Child Molestation Study.” ChildMolestationPrevention.org. www.childmolestationprevention.org/pdfs/study.pdf (accessed July 27, 2017).

I'm working according to the Chicago-Turabian manual of style when it comes to citations.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This is generally known as a "secondary source" citation and while not favored or viewed as highly as a primary source citation, provided it is accurately referenced from the secondary source it is generally considered acceptable.

Load Full (0)