bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I vary my dialogue? For me, dialogue usually goes like "quote" she said, doing something. I don't like it, and doing that for every time someone speaks is boring. So how do I add - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Some times, dialogue doesn't even need any kind of narration attached to it. Saying he said, she said, after every line becomes tiresome to write and to read.

Interesting dialogue comes from an interesting conversation! Do your characters sound like Eyore? Or are they like Tigger? It may not be BAD to have a character with the personality of Eyore, but you want to change it up. Give each one of them something unique. A quirk, a slang, one be the serious guy while the other provides the comedy.

I hate to put it so bluntly but boring dialogue is due to boring characters. Try to put yourself into each character's head as you write and really get into their character. I recently just wrote a conversation in my book between 3 characters that took me most of the day to get only a couple of lines out. At first, every character sounded the same (and they probably still do to some degree). After reading it over, I inserted myself into that character and sat long and hard to imagine myself as their personality that I want. After that, my dialog became a lot better and lost the narrator's voice it originally had (I hope!).

So when push comes to shove, I would spend more time BEING that character. Actors do research on their roles for months. They take lessons, find activities, study any language if it is needed. It helps them to get into the role to know the ins and outs of the personality.

Try to look at some of your favorite books or characters. Think about some of your favorite quotes or dialogue from those books. What made them so great and memorable?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best