logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Should I bother allowing images (headshots) for pen names? Please bear with me, the question really is for writers. I'm authoring software that manages ebooks. I'm to the point of representing

Cugini967 @Cugini967

Posted in: #Artwork #Authorship #Marketing #Pseudonym

Please bear with me, the question really is for writers. I'm authoring software that manages ebooks. I'm to the point of representing the "profile" of authors who choose to use pen names.

How should I handle images? Should I allow a headshot at all? If the intent of the pen name is to actually obfuscate the legal identification of the writer, then any image of one's self in this day and age completely defeats the purpose (c.f. reverse image searches via TinEye.) Facial recognition software is getting good enough that, if someone really wanted to know, even using an earlier image of yourself would eventually identify you.

I could go into things like the legal issues of using a stock image (bad...) or simply allowing an avatar image (what would be the point?), but they don't actually address the issue.

Now, to complicate matters, pen names are anything from a simple diminution of your legal name, ("Matt Smith" is technically a pen name for "Matthew Clay Smith") to a fully obscure branding. Since a legal name is required by the site for payment/tax purposes, all ebooks must be assigned a pen name as a matter of programmatic policy. Thus, "Matt Smith" may want to use his selfie.

Further, authors using multiple pen names is not uncommon.

So, I'm actually talking about the case of an obfuscating pen name(s). From a writer's perspective, do you want the ability to load an image, even if you won't load a personal headshot?

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Murray831

Murray831 @Murray831

Speaking from personal experience, as one who as published under multiple pseudonyms, I would have relished the ability to have a non-identifying image in place of a headshot. So many creative ways to have fun with this that could actually enhance the reader's experience by commenting on the work. We are in the post-modern era, after all. (Not to mention, a little dash of mystery could be good for sales;)

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@BetL639

BetL639 @BetL639

Some writers put their image on the back of books, some don't. I think in the end as long as you provide it as a choice and not make the image required, you shouldn't have an issue.

Some people may not want their picture up at all because they don't want their appearance to decide if they should read the book or not. Someone may not want to read the book for race or sex reasons, maybe the author has defects or scars from an accident. You just don't know and all of these petty things are sadly reasons someone very well may put a book down.

Also, the whole idea of having a pen name is so that you create a second identity. Whether to hide their real identity for writing or personal reasons, having them put up a picture kind of defeats that purpose if they can associate the 2 different authors by the same picture.

So in the end, don't make it required to have a picture. Simply have it as an option.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme