bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I be a writer, with a mental illness? I want to be a writer, but I have struggled with Schizoaffective Disorder for quite some time. Some of the symptoms of the disorder are amotivation - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'm going to address the questions one by one:

How much time should I dedicate to writing during the week? (like how many hours each day?)

There is no right answer, except too little time will result in a lack of progress, where too much time could result in burnout. Many professional writers find a schedule to be helpful--Hemingway reportedly wrote for at least 4 hours per day before drinking himself into oblivion. By contrast, legend holds that Kerouac's "On The Road" was composed in an extended burst of manic energy. (Note that both writers are considered important and almost certainly had mental health issues beyond alcoholism:) It's ideal if you can write a little bit every day, but it's also quite natural to experience dry periods where you're just not motivated, and those may be taken as opportunities to "recharge".

How can I stay motivated, and stick to my goal?

This one is easy: choose a subject you are passionate about! A very large number of artists "write the same book" or "paint the same subject" (in quotes b/c not meant to be taken overly literally) which is to say their work is the result of their obsessions. imo the best work comes from such obsessions.

Is it possible to write and have a mental illness?

Not only is it possible, it is considered in some circles to be an advantage. (Not that mental illness is a picnic, or to be desired or sought, but a large number, if not the majority, of significant artists seem to have some form of mental illness.) In some sense, one has to be "crazy" to pursue a career in the arts because it is so difficult to succeed, and success is almost entirely based on factors beyond the artists' control, and usually involves a huge amount of luck.

How can I stay focused, and not want to write something else even a chapter or two into it?

The truth is, you won't always be able to stay focused. This is natural. Finishing a work, regardless of its quality, is very good practice, but don't feel compelled to have to keep working on something you are "no longer feeling". You never know when a gem is going to emerge, so you just have to keep coming back to, and stick with, the process. Start out writing short pieces, then graduate to longer forms. (Microfiction is a great way to start. Only write stories you can finish in a single sitting.)

is writing as a career possible for me?

It is possible, but is a very risky career choice, even for the most talented. (If you care about money and comfort, and are not already independently wealthy, do not choose art as a career!;) This does not mean you shouldn't practice art, just you can't be assured of getting paid for it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best