bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing a novel where do you start? I have many abstract ideas for a novel, including characters, storyline etc.. I have found that writing my ideas down helps make them more real and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've been told I'm the local contrarian - a badge I shall wear with honour!

There is no writing process. There is only 'your' writing process, and only 'you' can discover what that is.

I do not outline. Outlining doesn't work for me. If I outline, I already know what happens. Like watching a film you've seen before, the writing becomes a chore rather than a joy.

Unless you're writing Y/A, character development isn't really a thing. People don't really change. What you are doing is character exposure or revelation. And it isn't something you should need to do consciously. Every time your character interacts with another character we learn more about him. Is he confident? Does he fight or flee? How is he with women? Does he like pets? What makes him the way he is?

I've just written the first chapter (1200 words) of my latest novel. All that has happened is that the character has walked from the metro station to her office cubicle. We know she has a good life. She is 29, single, and a financial analyst. I know that I am about to destroy her perfect life, and I know that technology will be the root cause. I also know she's going to need help to get her life back - Who? How? I've no idea. I'm not certain she will get her life back. Maybe she'll like her new one better?

There are many ways to get started. Put two characters into a scene (Char 1 & Char 2), let them interact. Do they fight, flirt, fall in love, rob a bank?

Set that scene aside. (Situation A).

Tell us, detail the journey, how Char 1 arrived at Situation A.

Explain how Char 2 arrived at Situation A.

Now tell us what happened next.

You're off and running . . .

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Margaret427

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best