bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing a novel where do you start? I have many abstract ideas for a novel, including characters, storyline etc.. I have found that writing my ideas down helps make them more real and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I wrote the above answer and logged in wrong (it was my first answer). I want to add to it.
I often find if I am writing something short, I start with answering a question. if I am writing something long, like a novel. I start with introducing the main character and describing where he is. For instances I might say. Dale was bored. There are few tings in the world more dangerous than a bored cop on a deserted street. Now I have introduced myself and described where I am. From there I can create all sorts of mischief.

This sounds kind of basic. But I start at the beginning. Think of how the story needs to start. DO you need a certain amount of character development to tell the story? Where do the characters come from. I teach a class in report writing for law enforcement officers and one of the things I teach them is; start with why you were there. So if you character is going to steal a space ship and fly off to another galaxy, start with how he got to the place he stole the ship. Did he hitch hike? Parachute in? Maybe he stowed away in a service truck.

I also find it helps me get to the end if I already know how the story ends. My mind tends to ramble off in strange directions when I write fiction, so having a destination helps me stay focused.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best