bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How much work do you have to do after getting your novel published? I'm thinking about sending what I've written off to get published soon, but I was wondering how much work I'd have to do - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm thinking about sending what I've written off to get published soon, but I was wondering how much work I'd have to do after the publisher has actually got the contract with me and we're going to publish the book.

By work I mean any form of work I'd have to spend the days doing.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ogunnowo420

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You don't "have" to do any work, unless it's written into your contract. But if you want your book to be a success, you'll want to work on promoting it. These days, even the best and biggest publishers expect an author to put a lot of their own time and effort into book promotion --gone are the days when you could relax, put your feet up, and expect the publisher to do all the work (if those days ever even existed!). If you have an agent, they'll help you do things like book interviews and speaking engagements. If you don't have an agent, you'll want to be in close contact with your publisher's publicity department.

As far as actual writing work, publishers can and do sometimes ask for substantial revisions. But again, this is different now than it used to be. At one time, publishers were willing to spend a lot of time and effort whipping a promising manuscript (and its author) into shape. Now, publishers want a manuscript to be basically print-ready before they ever see it. So there are fewer revisions after the contract, but a higher bar to surmount to even get to the contract stage.

Load Full (0)