bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should all books have page numbers? I am interested in whether there are any compelling reasons why print books should always have page numbers. In particular, I am thinking of books comprising - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you are ever going to print the book then page numbers are essential for Librarians, Archivists, Academics, Researchers and a lot of people who interact with the physical object of the book.

e.g. This is the 2018 edition 603 pages and XXII pages of indicia.

The other reason for page numbers is to identify if someone rips a page out of your book. Vandalism happens.

If your only editions will be electronic then "page" numbers are best left off and you can stick to your excerpt numbers. Unless you'll make it available as a PDF with images/pages locked. A PDF which allows text reflow is just like any other ebook/database format.

Bibles have page numbers even when nobody refers to them. Actually beginners are often told a page number so they can catch up quickly.

I hate Chapter+Section indexes - how far forward from 2-15 is 3-30?

Tips for Printed Volumes

I used to be a Book Publisher in a previous life.

If you don't want to list both page and excerpt numbers in your index because it becomes too big or unmanageable, print the most useful one (probably excerpt). Then make page number index available as a free download.

You will make a mistake somewhere in 2000 excerpts so make your errata available too. If you run print on demand, then I suggest version control so customers can determine which edition of the reference they have.
@Michael Kjörling pointed out in a comment errata indexed primarily by excerpt may be the most useful way to do it. That way, the errata would be equally useful regardless of what format of the book a reader may have, and the reader is likely already looking at the excerpt so have the excerpt number right in front of them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lengel543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best