bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to use small caps in stage directions of a play? I hate asking this, but for some reason I am utterly confused: is small caps not capitalized? I assumed if I wrote a characters name, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is a stage play format question, and you don't list which submission format is specifically requested. Yale Drama Series play format calls for SMALL CAPS (which I'm not going to muck about trying to replicate here on SE).

SMALL CAPS is dependant on your typeface. Most popular typefaces define the SMALL CAPS size, kerning, leading, line spaces and other typographical features.

Your word processor should allow you to set a word as SMALL CAPITALS in the character font effects setting. Final Draft has it in Format > Style.

The submission guidelines should have stated something like 12-point Times New Roman. In that case just style it as SMALL CAPS and let the software do the spacing math.

Do not override the font size or any other font styling for the small caps. So don't add bold or italics.

Jason, JASON, jason and jaSON all look the same in SMALL CAPS but you should always type the name the same way because to computers they are different names. I use Jason so that if I ever lose formatting I can read his name without pause. Alternatively you can use JASON because you'll know that's a speaking character.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Merenda569

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best