bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I be a writer, with a mental illness? I want to be a writer, but I have struggled with Schizoaffective Disorder for quite some time. Some of the symptoms of the disorder are amotivation - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

"My questions are, how much time should I dedicate to writing during the week? (like how many hours each day?) How can I stay motivated, and stick to my goal? Is it possible to write and have a mental illness? How can I stay focused, and not want to write something else even a chapter or two into it? ... and, is writing as a career possible for me?"

If you're looking to write a novel I don't believe you're asking the right questions.

How much time should I dedicate to writing during the week?

As much or as little as you feel comfortable with. Writers tend be artists rather than machines. When the stars line up, the ambient temperature is just right, and the earth tilts on its axis at just the right angle - genius will spring from your fingertips. Other day you'll be banging out embarrassing.

I once knew some band-members, they spent many years writing and performing their songs. A record company advanced them .5 million - they spent a good chunk of the money on therapy because for the next 12 months, no new music would come to them.

Is it possible to write and have a mental illness?

You'd be surprised at the number of writers and artists suffering from mental disorders, and many of those not afflicted with said disposition go to extremes to self-inflict.
drugabuse.com/25-great-writers-who-battled-drug-addiction-and-alcoholism/
_ I have the ideas, I'm just afraid that I will give up after I make the outline.

Why do you think it is necessary use an outline? Using an outline affects the writing process. The process effectively becomes a mapped out journey to a specific situation -where's the fun in that? Some days you might just want to go out to what you can see.

One time I saw a hat placed on a wall beside a busy main road. It was an expensive hat. There was no wind to speak of. I began to wonder under what circumstances that person could have lost their hat? Heart-attack? Mugging?

It should be noted at this point that I probably suffer from mild Aspergers. I was watching TV (Star Trek). A character named 'Seven' noticed a child was bleeding. The character promptly announced "Naomi Wildman, you are damaged!"

So I have two characters; the man who lost his hat and an emotionally challenged woman. I'll put them in a test-tube and see what happens. I've no idea where it's going . . . probably a very "Driving Miss Daisy" type story. But there will be no outline. I'll make it up as I go along.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelley992

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best