bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is permission required for quoting the Bible or nursery rhymes? I have characters in my novels that quote the Bible and a couple lines of old nursery rhymes. Do I need to obtain permission - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It depends which translation of the Bible you quote from.

If you quote from the King James Version (KJV), you're unlikely to encounter any problems, as the translation was completed in 1611. It is also the most well know version of the Bible in English.

The situation is different for modern translations, as different publishers will have different policies. For example, the Bible Society gives details of the situation for two modern translations - the Good News Bible (GNB) and the Contemporary English Version (CEV) - on their web site. Similarly, Harper Collins provide details on how to get permission to quote a range of translations, including the New King James Version (NKJV), New Century Version (NCV), International Children’s Bible (ICB), Expanded Bible, and The Voice, as well as the New International Version (NIV), New International Reader’s Version (NIrV), and Amplified Bible translations.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best