bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Footnotes when using in-text citation style I have come across some documents (not publicly viewable) that state that footnotes (for the purposes of adding further information) are not permitted - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

footnotes (for the purposes of adding further information) are not permitted in an academic text writen using in-text citations

That is 100% true according to some specific guidelines, while it's not for others. Citation style is not a universal law. It is a set of conventions used by a community. Therefore rules change from field to field. In my institution for instance the guidelines for authors specify that footnotes must be really short, and not used to write extensive explanations. They are a guide for authors, not a "right or wrong" type of law.

On the other hand, in my literature studies, academic papers all had huge extensive blocks of footnotes, sometimes longer than the text itself.

So, I don't know what style book you are reading from, but what you see as "nonsense" can be perfectly reasonable according to a specific policy.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best