bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : PhD -> Science writer: Solid move? I'm currently working on my PhD in applied physics and would like to get a sense for what the typical career path and background looks like for science writers. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm currently working on my PhD in applied physics and would like to get a sense for what the typical career path and background looks like for science writers. Although I love working as a scientist, there are a wide range of topics that I am interested in exploring besides my narrow research interests. I am also keen on having a flexible job that will allow me to live in several different parts of the world and work on my own schedule.

With that being said, is it common for one to transition from science PhD to science writer? How would somebody like me compete with others who have graduated from journalism school? Are there many jobs available in this field, where are some good places to start searching? Long term job prospects?

Thanks

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I think the only issue here is that you need to make sure you have some solid writing background as well. It's great that you are getting your PhD in applied physics. But if you would like to do writing, then make sure you get some journalism or communications experience as well.
Also, there is nothing wrong with having a PhD and then writing. You can do whatever you want with your life and time. It is common for science writers to have first had work with science, whatever that may mean, before they transitioned into writing. So really don't worry. Just see if you can hunt down the job prospects for this, and get some writing experience.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think it's going to be tricky without an established background in a scientific field. At the entry level of journalism, you'll be competing against people who want to write - and are trained to write - about the village fair or Mrs. Jones' cat (or similar). Papers and media outlets are going to look for experience in the field before assigning someone the role of science correspondent, and freelance work is as likely to be judged on your background as your writing talent (it's not right, but it happens).

It's definitely worth looking at people who have done similar things, and the work they've done in science before writing about science. You can't go wrong starting with someone like Ben Goldacre, though his family connections - which I'm guessing isn't something you could arrange at this point - won't have hurt.

Load Full (0)