bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it copyright infringement to Disney if I were to name my online company BuzzLightYear? I want to use the name BuzzLightYear (one word) as a business name. What are the laws on character - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I want to use the name BuzzLightYear (one word) as a business name. What are the laws on character copyright infringement for just using the name of a Disney character? And in this case a slightly different version of the name, since it will be one word.

Thanks!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Basically this goes in line with what I stated above, making the name one word is more than likely not an adequate enough of a change.

See this link for more details.

Transformative Use

Another way to legally use Disney characters could be to use them in what the law refers to as "transformative use." Transformative use requires that you change, or transform, the character enough so that it is no longer a mere copy of the original. The resulting transformation is sometimes called a "derivative work." For example, if a painter created an original oil painting of his family and included the Disney character Tinkerbell as a family member, his use of Tinkerbell would be fair use because of its commentary that the artist considers Tinkerbell a member of his family. The use of Tinkerbell in the painting could be could be characterized as a transformative use, and the painting could be called a derivative work.

It should be noted that all legal questions should seek legal counsel. The internet is not adequate to provide the proper answers, only speculate. Contacting a lawyer or Disney will always be the better way to go.

Load Full (0)