bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : If I mention a fictional character in a paper will I need any citations or references? I'm new here. Anyways my situation is that for my English class I'm writing a paper depicting the similarities - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm new here.

Anyways my situation is that for my English class I'm writing a paper depicting the similarities between characters in fiction that begin their stories with overwhelming abilities such as overpowered strength, speed or intelligence and how their "character" can be compared to characters that have to gain such abilities throughout their stories. Everyone seems to have done contrast pieces of these so I wanted to do a comparison instead.

This means I am giving examples in the paper of the characters and their stories.

My concern is if I need to give any references or if mentioning the characters is enough. I've checked and they're all in the public domain; classic characters like Hercules, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Tarzan of the Apes, Captain Nemo, Captain Ahab and Sherlock Holmes so I assume they're fine given I'm just mentioning them and not quoting anything but I would like to check on it.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Deb2945533

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Citations are not about copyright:

You have to cite to provide evidence for a claim, allowing the reader to find information, or avoiding to mislead others into thinking that something was your creation (plagiarism).
If quoting something is a breach of copyright, citing the source does not alleviate this (even though half the Internet seems to believe this).

You have to decide for yourself if any of the reasons for citation apply. For example, will your readers want a thorough evidence that Sherlock Holmes has his mental capabilities to begin with? Will a reference to A Study in Scarlet be of use to them, so they can look it up themselves? Could anybody be tricked into thinking that you created Sherlock Holmes? In your case, the answer to all these questions – particularly the last one – is probably no.

Still, be aware that your instructor may have a differing opinion about this and after all, one purpose of your exercise is probably to practice citing.
Copyright is about ensuring that creators can economically benefit from their work.

In all reasonable legislatures, quoting and summarising literary works for purposes of analysis, criticism, etc. is not subject to copyright or explicitly exempted from it (with the possible exception if you do this excessively).
In American copyright law, the keyword is fair use; in other laws it’s called something along the lines of the right of citation.

You have to worry even less about copyright if the works in question are in the public domain. However, if this is actually relevant for your literary analysis, you are likely to do something else wrong anyway.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If in doubt, check with your instructor. Generally, whenever you reference another text, you need to cite it both to protect yourself and to provide a way for verification.

Load Full (0)