bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: A Question of Pacing - Trilogy or Quadrilogy - Cluttered Story So I recently had a discussion with a reader and who pointed out a significant flaw in my work that I hadn't seen. When I first - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The thing is, readers don't care about non-human perspectives,

If you believe that, then why in the world would they buy your next three books? You have essentially told us that, you believe so strongly that you can't write a compelling story from an alien perspective, that you wrote an entire book from the human perspective instead!

The story you are "forcing" is the non-human stories you had hoped to write, but don't really believe in enough to write.

I suggest if you do anything other than publish the book you HAVE written, you revise it to maintain the human point of view but make the aliens more activist and prominent and rebelling. The civil rights of 1960's America, the taking of Native lands, with protests, strikes, brutality, imprisonments, despair, arson and rebellion.

Make your humans do what we assholes do, dehumanize people and treat them like garbage usually for exploitation and money and stealing their assets. And like we humans do, have some enlightened characters that can see that injustice and despair over their lack of power to stop it.

Except we have FTL spaceships and teleporters and replicators! (That's how Star Trek did the same thing, on many episodes.)

Your suggestions for alteration sound like messing up a good book. Learn the lesson you yourself wrote: Readers don't care about non-human perspectives. At least you couldn't get them to care, and that is all that counts. Accept it and figure out how to make your criticisms with a human perspective.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Mendez196

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best