bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to write a time-lapsed style scene in a screenplay? This is a brief example, but it gets the point across ... deep in thought Bathsheba shakes off her zoned thoughts by dipping her brush - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

This is a brief example, but it gets the point across ...

deep in thought Bathsheba shakes off her zoned thoughts by dipping her brush into the green paint and beginning on the canvas with her three friends looking on intently
In a time-lapsed fashion, the view circles around her and we see a baby being pushed in a stroller, two large Labradors on leashes drag their slight owner, and a saxophone player playing with much skill as he stands behind his open instrument case.
this is all interrupted with a CRASH.

ALSO:
Can I use human audible sounds in the action line capitalized? I.e.

Bathsheba SCREAMS as she is thrown to the floor

Or:

he SNORED loudly

Or must EVERYTHING “verbal” be used in dialogue underneath a character’s name?
LASTLY:
Are ALL character parenthetical EXCLUSIVELY used for “wryly’s” or can they ever include a slight description of what they are doing at the self-same time such as:

BATHSHEBA
(face in hands)

Or:

BATHSHEBA
(crying)

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The first part I can't see anything wrong with except that most scripts I have seen contain more detail. For example, where are the dogs being walked, what time of day is it, who is pushing the pram?

I don't understand why you want to capitalise the words (all capitals is usually very annoying), but there is nothing wrong with including the words themselves.

I can't see why you wouldn't include acting directions in the way you illustrate. However, if they are important and not really obvious from the rest of the script, I would not make them too brief.

I can't say I am an expert, but all of the film and television scripts I have read contain very little dialogue and a great deal of description of everything else. This is the opposite of stage scripts.

Load Full (0)