bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : "...If I wrote it..." Infamously, O. J. Simpson wrote a book titled "If I did it". Now about a book that could be titled "If I wrote it" - it doesn't have to be titled that, but the idea - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Infamously, O. J. Simpson wrote a book titled "If I did it".

Now about a book that could be titled "If I wrote it" - it doesn't have to be titled that, but the idea must be this: the author purports to not writing a book, and instead tells us how he would write it, if he would write it.

Was this ever done?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Not quite what you are looking for, but Lawrence Sterne's Tristram Shandy [*] was built on a similar principle.

Following the common rules of novel writing in 18th century, the author sets to write a book about his own life. But soon he falls into the first problems, such as "where I should start". So he begins writing about his conception, therfore about his parents, but then he gets lost in the history of his whole family... long story short, he gets born around page 300.

The whole book is a meta-novel, a satyrical piece towards the new fashion of middle-class literature of the time. Sterne played on the fact that it's impossible to detail the richness and beauty of a whole life, so every literary attempt will be overwhelmed by overthinking, digressing, confusion.

It was the first modern work of meta-literature, so close to what you are aiming at.

[*] Lawrence Sterne, The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy, gentleman, 1776 - wikisource

Load Full (0)