bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a first-person novel where the MC gets temporarily taken out of commission? I've decided that this novel would work best as a first person POV, and I generally wouldn't like to give - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think the main issue here is how much do you want to front load the success or failure of the outcome. If you are in standard third person then most readers can assume that you character survives the story and is here to tell it to us. This can obviously be subverted but it's not in most cases.

If you let the friends explain what happen, then you begin by telling the reader that things worked out. Considering this is the main climax of the story you may not want to tell it is "everything worked out, here is how..."

Your advantage though is if you are in the past tense is that you can just narrate with future knowledge. This is a slightly different style and I do not know if you are already doing it "I punched Frank in the face, it was the biggest mistake of my life"

So if you are OK with future knowledge you can simply begin the section with, "I was unconscious for the following events, and was only told them later" and then just go through everything as it happen just describing it in third person. Maybe once in a while toss in the characters wrong perception of the situation as well. "Jamie had to keep me calm as I rambled about the big red ball. Ironically the ball is the only thing that I remember"

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best