bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Names and aliases This is related to my previous question. So, let's say I want the readers to not be sure of who my character really is. They'd know her as Olivia, but think she might be - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The principle I use is: Reveal every significant thing that a viewpoint character knows.

If a viewpoint character knows her real identity, and would think of her using her real name, it would be misleading to withhold that from readers.

If a viewpoint character knows Olivia that is hiding her real identity, it would be misleading to withhold that from readers.

If you want to withhold important information from readers, keep us out of the viewpoint of anyone who would know the important information.

Or (and this can be trickier): Make sure the knowledgeable characters never have a reason to think about the information while we're in their viewpoint.

A final possibility: A first person narrator can withhold information for the purpose of surprising the audience. A first person narrator can be "unreliable" in that way. The author cannot.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray831

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best