bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can different publishers publish books taking place in the same story universe? I have recently published a sci-fi novel, and I am planning on writing another novel set in the same universe. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I have recently published a sci-fi novel, and I am planning on writing another novel set in the same universe. I plan to send it to a different publisher this time.

Is it legal that I have two stories with two different publishers both set in the same universe?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

As @Thomo said, the exact answer depends on an author's individual contract with their publisher. In general, however, fiction publishers do not acquire rights to an author's intellectual property.

That practice sometimes occurs in academic settings, though it's strongly discouraged by the Author's Guild:

“CAUTION: Do not allow the publisher to take your copyright or to publish the copyright notice in any name other than yours. Except in very unusual circumstances, this practice is not standard in the industry and harms your economic interests. No reputable publisher should demand that you allow it to do so.”

Load Full (0)