bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it wrong to use the same word multiple times within a few sentences? I have been told before that when describing things in writing I should use different words, and not to repeat myself - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It's not 'wrong' but if you do do it then it needs to be a deliberate decision for emphasis.

In this particular case I would question the use of the world 'sleek'at all as it's not really an adjective that I particularity associate with architecture and I struggle to visualise what it is attempting to convey. I can imagine what a sleek car looks like but not so much a sleek door.

You also need to take care that adjectives and adverbs are the curse of fantasy writing, there is a big trap in imagining a scene in a cinematic sense and then describing what you imagine which can get really clunky, really quickly (see what I did there ?).

Even with 3rd person narration it is usually better to describe scenes from the perspective of a character and convey their impressions of it eh what details did they notice first, how did it make them feel, what does it remind them of ?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Si5022468

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best