bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I say that a character said something without resorting to "said Character" every time? I have one big problem with my writing - when I'm doing dialogue, I find myself writing it and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Just jump to script form:

Alice: I must get this to Bob!
Eve: You stand no chance!
Alice: Never-the-less, I must try anyway!

Alice tossed the message over Eve's head.
But Eve, broomstick in hand, stopped the flying envelope.

Bob: Why'd you do that?
Eve: Ha ha ha! Now I got the passwords!
Bob: I was asking Alice
Alice: I thought she'd never reach it

If you're writing a college paper, this might be a no-no.
If you're writing a theatrical script, this might be the norm.
If you're writing a book, then you may not want to do this if you only have 2 lines of dialog (as the benefits might not be worth the cost of confusion brought on by introducing a unique format).

Sort of like slang: Often best avoided for formal writing. However, if you're quoting somebody and the phrasing seems to be especially emotionally moving, it may be worthwhile. Judges may be more prone to give leniency when the technique is masterfully done by a person whose experience is clear, and be harsher against a student who has a track record demonstrating a need to be adept at being capable of following the rules.

Changing styles may be worthwhile if that is the most effective way to ease the reading. My basic rule in writing (and speaking) is this: do whatever works well. (Especially in writing: try it. Didn't turn out well? Then toss the experiment's results and try something else.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best