bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: If I unnofficially create a theory and use it in my story, will it have any validity that I'm the author of such theory? I have some theories that I've contrived, some are philosophical, others - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The word "theory" is sometimes used differently in popular writing than in scientific writing*. A theory, scientifically, is an idea that is supported by many independent lines of evidence. The evidence is so robust, and derives from so many sources, that to disprove a theory is very, very unlikely. A theory is a massive beast - one that you can hang many hats on.

Gravity is a theory. To prove that gravity does not exist would be most remarkable indeed.

Evolution is another such theory. The evidence supporting it is huge, from multiple disciplines. When people in the public sphere say "Evolution is just a theory" they are demonstrating that they do not understand the word 'theory.' Imagine someone saying "Gravity is just a theory." (In fact, yes it is 'just' a theory, but a theory is a damn near irrefutable thing.)

If what you have is an idea, that is probably more likely to be a hypothesis, not a theory. A hypothesis is also a wonderful thing, it is something that can be tested and if verified over a number of experiments and disciplines and researchers, it may in fact reach the level of theory.

Other people may have the same idea rattling around in their heads, and it is possibly even published somewhere ... and you yourself mayn't know, but go ahead and publish it. Good ideas are valuable. Change the world! It's worth it.

*(Except possibly in mathematics,)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best