bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is there a name for layers of subtext? For each line of dialog, I have three pieces of text: the dialog itself, and two things I call Subtext1 and Subtext2 for now. Dialog: Self-explanatory, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

For each line of dialog, I have three pieces of text: the dialog itself, and two things I call Subtext1 and Subtext2 for now.

Dialog: Self-explanatory, the only thing actually "visible" to the reader
Subtext1: Shows what I want the reader to think or what I expect them to think
Subtext2: Shows what the scene really is about, with info the reader isn't supposed to know yet.

Example:
Dialog: (Pirate) Where is my other boot?!
Subtext1: He seems awfully concerned for a useless boot. What, does he plan to put it on his peg-leg?
Subtext2: He fears someone might have found his super secret treasure map in the small pouch on the side of the boot.

So my question is, is this already a "thing"? Like, is there a technique of sorts that works like this already? What names would be more fitting for Subtext1 and Subtext2?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I've often recommended a close variation of this technique for people who have trouble with dialogue. But I don't believe it has a formal name. Since you are using it solely for yourself, you should use the labels that are most meaningful to you. My suggestions would be "plaintext", "intent", and "subtext" but those are merely suggestions.

You might also consider occasionally using a fourth level: "subconscious" (or something expressing that meaning).

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I'm not aware of a pre-existing name for your technique, but I think your breakdown can be helpful. I'm going to assume that the subtexts are for your own benefit and never actually make it onto the final page.

I assume this because you say your technique is a way...

...to better structure my thoughts, especially in regards to what I
want to convey in my dialog.

Thus, I'd suggest three words/phrases:

dialogue
desired effect
reality

Dialogue is the literal words that are spoken.

Desired effect is what you hope the reader would be thinking, feeling, or saying to themselves as a result of reading your dialogue.

Reality is the true meaning of the statement (true to your story, that is), which may or may not align with the desired effect. I'd imagine that in this case, you want them to find out about the map later for a greater dramatic effect or twist.

Load Full (0)