bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it a bad habit to cause too many deep permanent changes in the status quo of a story that envisions sequels? I have a story I'm writing which envisions some sequels. However, although the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I prefer the type of universe you describe wanting to do. I lean towards those sorts of series, because I can enjoy the worlds more fully. Such a structure allows you to broaden the scope of issues you explore.

Brandon Sanderson has done this sort of time - jumping with his Mistborn series. I believe he expects three time frames, each one having a trilogy. He has written six books so far (2 time frames.) His second trilogy imo is not as strong as the first trilogy, but that could be for a number of reasons (the writing struck me as more rushed.)

JK Rowling is beginning her new time frame with Newt Skermander. Seems to be working OK.

Sanderson and Rowling are successful (very much so) and so i believe you're fine. It may depend on the audience. A younger audience, say in their teens, might prefer a good long stretch with the same storyline (seven harry potter books, three mist born books) before moving into a new area of your world.

2 cents.

p.s. Historical fiction authors work in different settings and characters all the time. I think you're fine.

p.p.s. Changing genres is problematic, though, because a reader will feel that they were tricked somehow.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best