bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Help write a book review, please Edited to incorporate @Craig Sefton's suggestions. About a book that I admire, I wrote in an SE computer-programming group: The material seems old -- well, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Edited to incorporate @Craig Sefton's suggestions.

About a book that I admire, I wrote in an SE computer-programming group:

The material seems old -- well, it is old -- because it's been around for long and, while by no means trivial, is well understood. A solution you can lift is published in W. Richard Stevens's superb and unparalleled book (read "bible"), Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Second Edition. The book is the rare treasure that's clear, concise, and complete; its every page gives real, immediate value.

In the emboldened phrase, I want to convey that the book is in contrast to other 1200-page doorstops because it has no fluff, no extraneous or off-topic matter. Almost every other programming book should be of 256 pages; this book justifies its length on every page. So:

Should I even try to include that idea? Maybe I should just let the contrast go and talk about the book itself.

If so, how can I do it concisely? I'm afraid that too many words will bore the reader and weaken the contrast.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Chiappetta298

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Okay, I really like your 1200-page doorstop comment. That's not boring, and it's evocative.

Can you use that?

This is a big book, but unlike
1200-page doorstops, this book
justifies its length. It is the rare
treasure that's clear, concise, and
complete; its every page gives real,
immediate value.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Well, I think you've already used the word I would use in your question: concise. I would also perhaps split the overall sentence into two lines. A possible suggestion:

A solution you can lift is published
in W. Richard Stevens's superb and
unparalleled book (read "bible"),
Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment, Second Edition. It is one
of those rare books that is clear and
concise, which gives every page real
and immediate value.

Edit: Based on the update to the question, I think including the idea is necessary. Concise and clear programming books are invaluable, so that's a big strength. Don't worry about boring the reader; you'll only do that if your review isn't ... umm ... clear and concise. Oh, and I would probably drop either tangible, or real, since they essentially mean the same thing (I've edited my recommendation above to reflect this).

Load Full (0)