bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I have just found the notes from my teacher that help to summarize the question like this. A story always comes from a conflict or a problem. That said: Character driven: the problem rise - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have just found the notes from my teacher that help to summarize the question like this.

A story always comes from a conflict or a problem. That said:

Character driven: the problem rise from the character, from their own life and personality. Ex.: Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Hamlet.
Plot driven: the problem comes from outside the character, generally an antagonist, and the protagonist has to deal with it. Once the antagonist is gone, the story ends. Ex.: The Hobbit, Beowulf.
Arena driven: the problem is in the world, or the environment, and the people who live in it have to face it. Hypothetically, characters can die and be replaced, and the story will continue. Ex.: E.R., Blood meridian.

Of course these are abstract theories, rough categorizations used by critics and producers, but a work can have more nuances. For what I know, they are mostly used in TV, rather than in literature.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best