bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Having an acronym for a villainous organization I have this organization in my working book called NOVA. And it means National Occupation Variation Association. they basically take people from - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have this organization in my working book called NOVA.

And it means National Occupation Variation Association.

they basically take people from their homes and families and force them to work on re-building the world. pretty much killing the ones that don't want to work.

Is it appropriate to use NOVA, since it's a popular organization name in many novels and Movies.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kimberly114

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The fact that it is used by several entities makes it public domain, if that is what you are worried about. There is nobody that "owns" the acronym if it is used by many independent entities.

+1 to ItWasLikeThat: National does not equal World, or Worlds. You might want to look through a dictionary for some other word starting with N, like "Necessary".

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I didn't immediately think "Ah. That's from [insert name]", so I'd think it was either common enough to be regarded as generic, or niche enough that no one has really claimed it as their own. (I would have reacted differently if you were asking about SPECTRE or HYDRA).

It might be that other posters here have heard of a Big Name where it's been used, but at the moment I think you're fine using it.

One thought, though : you mention "rebuilding the world", but the "N" stands for "National". Does the organisation not span the world, or is each part of the group looking at specific countries? It's entirely possible I'm seeing a problem that isn't there, but if the organsation is international, I'm unlikely to be the last person to wonder about this.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think what your asking is because you have mentioned

many novels and movies

If you’re worried if the name NOVA will be a cliche for being a common name .
As long as you state their goal and what they do and whether they’re antagonists or well-intentioned people, you will be fine

Load Full (0)