bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What is the origin of the Hero's Journey? I'm curious as to whether or not there was one story seen as the 'first' example of the Hero's Journey. Most Googling returns academic theory (Campbell's - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm curious as to whether or not there was one story seen as the 'first' example of the Hero's Journey.

Most Googling returns academic theory (Campbell's steps) rather than examples. But I'm curious if there are any early stories from either East or West culture that contain the basic story structure and laid the foundations for later examples.

We could cite the story of Krishna (and later the story of Christ) for examples of death/resurrection or later Lord of the Rings for a very typical journey structure, but I'm wondering if there are any examples that were popular/influential in making the structure end up being repeated so often? (e.g. as the damsel in distress trope was popularised in part by King Kong, and Star Wars took existing character archetypes and put them into forms repeated in other media)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best