bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : A short addition to these answers, because I thought your original ideas in another question were already very nicely developed. But today I was considering the mythology and religion on my - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

A short addition to these answers, because I thought your original ideas in another question were already very nicely developed. But today I was considering the mythology and religion on my world, and began to wonder if you are asking, here, ... because you would like even more ideas, more grist.

So, here is my answer to the question "How can I write God with a more feminine aspect?"

Research religious traditions - of all sorts. Study religions, and find every commonality between them. What do they all have? What is the purpose of each item? What are examples of each?

Research these, perhaps go to Wikipedia and look up the main monotheistic religions, some new age religions, some pantheistic religions, or other variants. Some farcical religions, like the flying spaghetti monster.

Start making lists of what they all share (Examples: Supreme beings, rituals, structure, scriptures, etc) and what are unique features of each (Examples: Some have hell, some don't; some claim that divinity is attainable in our human form, others claim that idea is heresy; some prioritize faith, others prioritize acts; etc).

You now have two lists. The first is of the commonalities you have found from your research. The second is of the distinctive features of religions.

Now, check these lists against your created religion. Have you hit every important aspect, ... and have you feminized it?

From the first list: Make sure you have examples of all the commonalities, or a reason why you don't, in your religion. Feminize each one.

The second list is to give you ideas, of ways to make your religion intriguing, distinctive, and memorable. You can use ideas straight from this list, but perhaps better to brainstorm creatively from it instead.

^^^ That's my answer. I have a few more thoughts below.

FWIW, as food for thought: I thought the device used in Mistborn, when Kelsior recognized that some religions start best with a martyr, especially one that rises from the dead, was very effective.

(And upon reflection, I highly recommend you read Mistborn. Another character whose name escapes me at the moment was providing Kelsior brief synopses of any number of religious traditions throughout the book. Sanderson was very creative in coming up with a variety of plausible and crazy religious traditions among these examples.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best