bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Where to find industrial schematics or blue prints for reference? I am researching the weapons and systems that exist in the present day to better understand and extrapolate the jargon that my - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I am researching the weapons and systems that exist in the present day to better understand and extrapolate the jargon that my characters will be using.

I have found many interesting pieces of information related to my story in patent applications however most patents do not detail their inventions sufficiently as industrial blue prints would (probably to make their invention difficult for others to create as well as increase scope of legal claims in their IP portfolios so they can threaten litigation).

What is a good resource for writers looking to review industrial schematics or blue prints?

Specific Context: weapon schematics or aerospace blueprints... the genre I am working within is science fiction so I need a couple detailed weapons and also some airplanes or tanks I'm thinking to get enough detail into this stuff I'm working on.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Are you writing a hard science work? What I mean is, how in-depth do you plan on getting with the details?

If the answer is "not very" you can learn a lot by just reading the wikipedia article for whatever weapon/vehicle you need. Maybe watch a few youtube videos on the subject. For instance, for 19th and 20th century firearms, Forgotten Weapons is fantastic. When he's showing a gun, he always goes into the history of it, and often even disassembles it and explains how it works.

If the answer is "Very" you probably need a degree in the subject. If you try to be too realistic, your audience will hold you to that. Meaning if you're not an expert yourself, one in your audience will certainly find fault somewhere.

Load Full (0)