bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What does "juvenile tone" mean? I often hear the word thrown around, but I don't have any idea of what it is, or how can it be avoided. So, what does "juvenile tone" mean and how can I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

"Juvenile tone" means writing like a kid --or, to be more precise --like a young teenager (usually). This is excusable in a young writer, but less so in a writer who should know better. There are writers who have perfected a juvenile tone in the service of a mature book (Catcher in the Rye, or, less seriously, Youth in Revolt) but it's a tricky feat to pull off.

The positive characteristics of juvenile writing are usually enthusiasm, authenticity, innocence and freshness. The negative characteristics of juvenile writing are usually melodrama, unoriginality, shallow characters, a lack of empathy, superficial irony, an unearned sense of superiority, an attempt to shock people just for the sake of being shocking, pretentiousness or precociousness, and a lack of craft, leading to bad or amateurish prose.

As you might have noticed, however, one could have either of those sets of characteristics at any age.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best