bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I format dialogue for an AI chatbot in a screenplay? In my script, there is an AI chatbot character - ANNIE - that real characters communicate with via text. ANNIE has animated reactions - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One very useful trick for writing characters who are somewhat dumb or think differently is to change your vocabulary. ANNIE being a bot, I suggest you to opt for more mechanical vocabulary and to limit the words you use to the bare minimum.
Since the story is set in 2017-18, and you established ANNIE is not terribly intelligent, I think it is safe to assume she does not really think. Her reasoning processes can be brought down to simple comparisons, linking between words in search of meanings and simple looping/iterating. Another very important characteristic is that current chatbots use only what the user types in as input. While some of the best chatbots may look up information on the web or other sources, they are unable to see the user's facial expressions or hear their voice.

Here is a small extract illustrating some of those ideas for you:

waiting for the user
-- Err... hello?
reticence. User sounds hesitant. Initiating comforting protocol
-- Hello, user! What is your name?
-- Mark
-- Are you feeling well, Mark?
User is not responding
Are you OK, Mark?
-- I kinda of feel down
checking dictionary for "to feel down". To feel bad, depressed
-- Why do you feel bad, Mark?