bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I establish the nature of a person/group without action? How can one establish the nature of a person/group to the reader without relying on actions to 'show' it? For example, if I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Be aware that Star Wars, as most fantasy fiction, relies strongly on tropes and cliches. This means that
1) you expect a villain at some point
2) the villain's traits are obvious: dark, grim, hunchback, speaking softly, etc.

This is getting more and more difficult as we go afar from the usual cliches. For instance, if you want to subvert a cliche or create a surprise effect, this doesn't work.

First of all, you need to establish the rules of your world. If I have a nazi swastika tattooed on my neck, today, is quite likely that I'm not a good person. So visual symbols or identifiers can help.

Beyond that, I must confess that I don't know how to help. Every character is always described by their actions (words included) rather than the look. And this is for a good reason: how lame and boring would be a character described just by the look? And how more interesting and complex and tridimensional can be a character who speaks with his actions?

Don't rely too much on anything beyond actions - that is the advice I struggle to follow in my writing, and that I give to you as well.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best