bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I know what I'm writing is interesting to the reader? I'm starting to wrap up the gestation period of my first book - right now I have a notebook filled with a lot of observations - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I upvoted the answers about writing for yourself and noting what you find interesting. Go over and make mental note which areas you tend to skim over or feel confused on. Sometimes it take a few cycles of reading, editing and rereading before realizing a section needs to be cut out or changed.

As for the subject or the story. If it interests you, then you're going to enjoy it a lot more and likely put more effort and work into it than if you don't care.

The downside is (at least with me) is that I know so much about my story world so things may be clear in my mind but not clear to anyone outside. I'll gloss over ambiguous areas, things I need further research on to make it convincing, or things over explained, repetitive, etc. That may be when having a friend or some other person reading and giving feedback is helpful.

Edited to add, while it might be socially awkward at times, I find talking about my story to other people (anyone willing to listen) helps me get an idea on a number of things:

How to get to the point (which helps me clarify in my writing and figure out the main plot/ theme). The first few times I do this, I tend to be all over the place rambling about everything and every little detail. That's a sign I need to figure out the point of the story, the main plot and possibly weed out unnecessary things.
Find out which parts interest the listener the most. What times do they seem really engaged or say "Wow that's a really good story."
Find out what areas they scratch their head and be like "You've lost me." or "Wow there's a lot going on. or I can't remember who is who and all those names. (this is a problem I'll have to sort out.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Frith254

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best