logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How can I plan the chapters in my book? I'm looking for methods of planning chapters for books. I always saw structures and scripting in the macro level, but never in the micro level.

Frith254 @Frith254

Not sure I have the handle on this either, but what I've been doing in my rough drafts is to insert (Chapter break) Formated "center" and with the () when I feel there needs to be one. I can go back later and decide to either keep it in or remove it. In a later draft I may give them numbers.

Having it stand out centered also helps me be able to use the search function to jump to chapters when reviewing and editing, etc.

So far along with what others have mentioned about passages of time and skipping mundane stuff, I sometimes come across areas I feel needs to have a break.
A scene ended and the protagonist, or POV character is left with something to ponder over, or there's some tension left that can't be resolved yet. There may be something important that I feel needs to be left at the end of a chapter to add importance. I guess that may be considered a turning point in the plot as mentioned by another answer.

Another good time for a chapter break is when you're doing a POV shift, either past to present or into another character's mind. Also useful if your story includes sub plots. I like to have those in separate chapters when possible.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme