bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I make dialog sound like that of a six year old? I'm a contemporary romance author writing a romance Christmas book. The hero in my story has a six year old girl. There are lots - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

How to make dialogues sound like coming from six-year-olds?

You have to consider both the mind and the environment a young person lives in.

Local dialect: kids often have a very small area where they live in and they will often use the language they are most exposed to which is the local dialect. For instance, this has been done in "Boku dake ga inai machi" where the kids speak to each other in local dialect.
Family speech: similar to local dialect kids will use what they're exposed too. Kids have a small world. If the family members curse a lot, a six-year-old will mimic both the word and body language.
Mispronunciations: If there are many syllables, just leave one out. Also, you can skip a few letters, switch them around, or replace consonants or vowels. For instance, "Wow, bewootivul!" or "I don't want to go to the tendist!"
Childlike optimism and enthusiasm: When asked who wants to go the supermarket, kids respond: "Yay! Yeah! Yoohoo!" and when they're there "Dad, can I have an eyescream?" while looking up with big cute eyes.
Kids notice (and find pleasure in) things adults don't: Here is an anecdote from when I went to dinner with my nephew. "Ah, hahaha, that snowman has tits!" while looking at a poster ad in the bathroom of the restaurant. And it really did. The guy next to me burst out into laughter.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best