bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are proper ways to end a business letter? How should you end a business letter? If you are writing a letter to your grandparents, I would use With Love from 'name' However, if you are - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I liked this question - writing letters is a professional use of writing skills, but it's becoming rare to the point of looking like a lost art.

The norm (UK, at least) always used to be that if the letter began "Dear Sir / Madam" it would end with "Yours faithfully", while a salutation of "Dear Mr. Smith" would give the valediction "Yours sincerely". Things are a lot more liberal these days, and I'll find myself writing letters that look more like e-mails, with no salutation or first name only and "Regards" at the end.

Writing Stock Answer - consider the audience. Do you know the recipient at all, and in what way? Do they seem formal, or a person who would appreciate formality (or could expect it by position, such as a prospective employer or mentor)?

I can't (and shouldn't) Tell You What To Write, but it looks like you're thinking along the right lines, and for a formal communication you won't go far wrong with the ideas you've had - you could even do both. "Thank you for your time" followed by "Sincerely" is a nice way to end a formal letter.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best