bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I write about a particular lingering thought? I have had the thought of writing about a nation with states on another planet. The planet is earth-like and the quantity of some resources - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As a world-building exercise, not as a story.

It sounds to me like you are engaged in world-building; which means solving the problems of politics, behavior, technology levels, geography, communications, religion, etc that all go into building a coherent fictional world.

But this is just a setting and that is not enough to start a story.

The setting is preparatory work, in fiction. You need characters that have a problem to solve (which might be suggested in your preparatory work), something they desire that will cause them to venture forth and take risks to achieve it despite the perils and cost involved. Something they care about more than their own safety and comfort.

You can write a "bible" about your invented universe, the things that are true about the setting and how it all works. For a story, you need a hero with a goal, a thinking being with a goal that the reader will follow to see how the venture to reach that goal comes to some conclusion, and along the way learn about your setting.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best