bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to talk about certain anatomy without sounding vulgar or cowardly? Let's talk about butts, because butts are safe, but really this question is for other parts of the anatomy as well. There - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I recommend the Power Thesaurus, which is pretty comprehensive and crowd-voted (like this site). An example here is for vagina.

I would say pick median word, or a word that is clear without being pejorative or clinical.

You may also use less vague indirect terms: A penis can be referred to as an erection, for example, or a shaft.

Another indirection is in the common marriage vow, they use the words "cleave only unto him", "cleaving" refers to the separation of vaginal labia [lips] by a penis; so the vow uses a verb that applies to sexual intercourse without referring to the organs involved.

If that fails for you, then without research of my own, I am told by my sister that modern romance novels get pretty explicit in the sex department.

Although my characters frequently have sex, I don't write explicit sex scenes. I turn the camera away before genitalia appear. However, if I felt an explicit scene was necessary, say if a main character was raped, date-raped or being sexually harassed or coerced at work, THEN I would probably look online or in a used bookstore for examples of what is acceptable in the modern romance department.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best