bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Using internal monologue for more than one or two characters It appears that most "rules" regarding internal monologue advise restricting its use to one or two POV characters. My novel, however, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The key is to be clear at all times whose viewpoint we are in.

So when you change from one viewpoint to another, make sure you give enough indicators that the reader can follow.

This is easiest, of course, at chapter breaks and scene breaks. But a skilled writer can help the reader follow viewpoint changes more often than that. I think I've seen John Irving (pretty darned skilled) switch viewpoint twice in a single paragraph. (I think the book was The Fourth Hand, which I don't recommend other than for studying how to switch viewpoints skillfully.)

If you can make every viewpoint change clear to the reader, feel free to ignore advice about "head hopping" or "one viewpoint per scene." That advice is very useful for writers who aren't yet able to guide the reader through viewpoint changes, but limiting for writers who have the appropriate skill.

If you aren't yet good at managing viewpoint changes, you'll confuse the heck out of readers. So get good at it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray831

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best