bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I make my character suspect an upcoming twist or not? I have reached a point in my story in which the characters, who are in a sort of gang, will have to turn against each other. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Two issues: 1. What do you need to make the story work? And 2. What would be plausible if this were real life?

Of course #1 can conflict with #2 . One of my pet peeves is when characters in a TV show or movie don't do the obvious thing to solve their problem, and you know that the reason they don't is because if they did the movie would be over in 5 minutes. I often find myself saying to the TV, "Oh come on, why don't you just call the police?", etc.

The easy answer is, Don't make your characters behave unrealistically. If there's something that any rational human would think or do, but doing this would not take the story in the direction you want to go, then give us a reason why the characters don't do it, or why they do it but it doesn't work. Like if the character would naturally be suspicious, tell us why he was so easily duped in this case. The villain had saved his life once and he just couldn't imagine he would turn on him now. He was so busy doing X that he just never noticed the obvious signs of trouble. Whatever works.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Annie587

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best